So back in July (theoretically before I was "too uncomfortable" in the pregnancy) Tom and I had a chance to go to San Fransisco to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. It was about 6 months late, but it was quite possibly the best vacation we've ever had together! The weather was beautiful and a much needed break from the hot and humid 100+ degree temperatures of South Carolina! Tom and I had been to San Fransisco about 13 years ago with BRH choir, so it was special to visit some of the same places many years and life changes later.
We started a new activity called the "What were they thinking?" game. You may be able to guess how to play. Basically when you spot a fashion choices that seems less than tasteful, you try to figure out what that person was thinking when they got dressed that morning. We actually enjoyed this activity throughout our few days in the big, west coast city. In the picture below you, figure out what the main character was thinking when they made their clothing choices.
We took a guided tour of China-town complete with a walk- through of a fortune cookie factory, Chinese market (you don't want to know what live animals were swimming, hopping, slithering around in large buckets ready to be purchased for the locals' lunch), apothecary with traditional Chinese medicines, and the local's personal recommendations for dim sum at lunch.
Dinner on the wharf one night at Alioto's. The fresh crab was delicious (although I think Tom could have done without the bib) :). The Boudin bakery provides famous, San Fransisco sour dough bread to many restaurants, and it is TO DIE FOR! We walked down the wharf to one of their actual bakeries and were able to bring about 6 loaves home on the plane to share with our neighbors and family. Sadly, those loaves didn't last long.
We were able to get tickets to go to Alcatraz. This was the one thing that my history buff husband really really wanted to do on this trip. I wasn't as gung ho about it at first, but it turned out to be a great activity that we both enjoyed completely.
The salt water from the bay and other elements have taken their toll on the buildings themselves, but it's eerily pretty.
Babies behind bars
I think I want to have this printed in my house to remind my child of their rights here at home.
Driving over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito.
Isn't he cute! I love this guy!
Such a cute little town on the edge of the bay. We walked around the town, enjoyed the view, and had dinner in a cute little Italian bistro.
And lots of traffic heading back into the city that evening. Apparently everybody takes a Sunday drive to Sausalito.
My favorite day may have been when we drove out to Carmel. Tom went to a music camp out there years ago (just months before we started dating), and for years he has talked about taking me out there, driving through the strawberry fields, and walking around Carmel. He has always told me how much I would love it. And he was right. I totally loved it. The drive itself was beautiful and relaxing. It gave us much needed time to talk and catch up and just be together without the distractions of everyday life. We both love a roadside farm stand, so when we passed one, we decided to get a very local lunch right there.
Carmel was a quaint, adorable town with cobblestone streets, little shops, bakeries, and alleys.
Maybe I didn't mention, but but the streets were pretty hilly, and by the end of our exploration, I may have been a little worn out.
So we got in the car, drove up into ocean front neighborhoods and took pictures of very pricey houses. That's what most normal people do, right?
I am so grateful for this get-a-way that we had before Charlie joined our family.
No comments:
Post a Comment